Ham Jam and Cheese Sandwich
Based on the Parisian jambon-beurre, this Ham Jam and Cheese sandwich is salty, sweet and rich. Simple flavors come together and sing.
- 1 Baguette (about 20 to 24 inches long)
- Salted Butter (at room temp, or sliced thinly with a cheese plane)
- Dijon Mustard
- Fruit Preserves: Cherry, Peach or Orange
- Gruyère Cheese, sliced thinly with a cheese plane
- Deli Sliced Ham, preferably smoked or Black Forest
Slice the baguette in half crosswise; then slice each half in half again crosswise, to make 4 smaller sandwiches.
If you want to make 2 sandwiches, like I did, just save that other baguette half for something else. Then slice the pieces for the sandwiches in half horizontally.
Smooth the salted butter over both sides of each cut side of the sandwiches.
Spread dijon mustard on one side of each sandwich, on top of the butter.
Then spread the fruit preserves on the other sandwich half, on top of the butter.
Place a few of the Gruyère slices on the cherry preserves side of the sandwich.
Use 3 to 4 slices of ham for each sandwich. Just fold or crumple the ham slices and place them evenly on top of the cheese slices.
Top the ham with the Dijon side of the sandwich.